“I really, really LOVE Valentine’s Day!” said no unattached person,…ever.
Am I right?
Okay, okay maybe those of you who are taken feel slightly different but hey, I’m in a different boat and I’m here to say, while I love the sappy romantic love here are all my favorite reasons to be single on valentine’s day. Enjoy!
1. Your wallet won’t suffer for love. You know that if you were in a relationship with someone you really cared about, the money you’d end up spending on a romantic dinner and gift would totally be worth it (despite your aching bank account). Still, you can’t help being grateful you don’t have to spend all that money and can save it for something you really want, like that new outfit for girls night out. Just sayin.
2. All your fave candy will be on sale, and you can buy as much as you want for yourself. If you have a significant other on February 14th, when all the Valentine’s Day candies go on sale, you’ll feel like you shouldn’t buy any of it for yourself because that’s bae’s job on this special day. Whereas if you’re single, Valentine’s Day candy is just plain old chocolate that’s on sale and you don’t feel any type of way about buying a bunch of it for a fraction of the price. Except for maybe the guilt you feel after eating it all, but who’s even watching?
3. You don’t have to share your chocolate with anyone. That’s just a given.
4. You won’t be disappointed when, inevitably, your big, special date isn’t all that romantic IRL. Everyone sets their expectations way too f*$&in high for their Valentine’s Day and as a result, end up trying to force the romance and emotion, which just ends up feeling awkward and, well, forced. The date always ends up being extraordinarily boring. I mean, I’ll be honest I don’t remember one V-Day in my life where it was all sorts of amazing. Hmm…maybe there’s something wrong with this picture to begin with. Regardless, since you’re single, you don’t have to worry about feeling underwhelmed and then having to hide your disappointment so bae’s feelings won’t be hurt.
5. You can do WHATEVER the F*%K you want to do. When you’re single, February 14th is just another day of the year. You don’t have any obligation to go to some fancy-schmancy restaurant while trying extra hard to be romantic. You can just spend the day doing what you love to do: binge-watching Netflix while laying comfortably in bed with a face mask on and stuffing your face full of chocolates. Wait, did I just say that out loud?
6. Real Talk: At least you’re not in a relationship with the wrong person. That’s an achievement that deserves recognition, too. Pat yourself on the back for not settling. Hallelujah.
7. You finally get a chance to reflect on all the bad dating choices you’ve made in the past and realize how far you’ve come. And let me tell you, boy have I made some bad ones!
8. Seriously, did I mention you can keep all the chocolate for yourself? It’s hard to be sad when you’re feasting on salted caramel squares.
9. You won’t be dumped on Valentine’s Day. I think we can all agree those people have it worse.
xoxo – Love, Olia