I’m going to be REAL real here and talk about those times your having that FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) feeling. In particular, you may all have been feeling that about NYFW and all the posts that you saw from a bunch of bloggers including well,… me.
Listen, I know the feeling all too well. Sitting on my couch, 3 day old washed hair and scrolling through people’s perfectly curated Instagram feeds of none other than what seems to be the year’s biggest week long party and guess what — you weren’t invited. For seven days (and for anyone remotely associated with the fashion industry) you will have seen non stop IG posts, stories, articles, coffee runs and #OOTDs making you wonder where you went wrong in life.
Now lets get one thing right — yes I absolutely LOVE my job and the fact that I have gotten to attend NYFW multiple times — it truly IS a dream come true and never in a million years would I have EVER thought I’d be there. But, I’ve always said I’m going to be 100% real with you guys and so when I get DMs/emails from you guys totally bummed out and wishing you were there it makes me want to let you in on one big secret: NYFW ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.
SO, with that being said here are a few reasons why you shouldn’t feel any Fashion Week FOMO and hopefully it will cheer you up a bit:
1. It’s non stop. And I mean NON STOP. You don’t eat, sleep, think, breathe (or so it seems) for 7 days.
2. You sit in a cab 90% of the time trying to head to your next destination. You think I’m joking, but I’m not. For someone who gets car sick like me — it’s like I’m asking for it.
3. Everyone thinks they are somebody (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing since I’m all about work what you’ve got) BUT if you don’t like those types of environments/people then you probably won’t be a huge fan.
4. New York is EXPENSIVE AF. I mean, I thought SoCal was expensive and then I went to get a coffee in NYC and holy sh*t. Oh and it’s probably a good thing you don’t eat much during NYFW because you’d spend a fortune in dinners. I mean, how do locals do it?!
5. You will be in excruciating pain from the most uncomfortable shoes that you’ve had to wear 24/7 and somehow convinced yourself it was a good idea. Don’t get me wrong — I love a good heel as much as any gal but when you are running from show to show, catching cabs/ubers, taking the subway and heading to meetings you will want to die from blister pain. And trust me — you WILL get a horrid blister at least once during the trip.
6. Everywhere is crowded. And I mean EVERYWHERE. Nuff said.
7. Seeing the IG feeds of the perfect runway shows could seem like a dream come true (and don’t get me wrong — it is probably the best part of Fashion Week) but let me tell you — a runway show is over in about 10 minutes (IF THAT). I literally sometimes blink and it’s over which makes me almost want to cry.
8. Every one of the most beautiful and stylish people you could ever dream of seeing is at Fashion Week which means YOU are around them. You could have a subtle moment of feeling like “wow, I’m the shit,” until you are getting pushed by crazy paparazzi trying to get that perfect shot of Paris Hilton who just arrived to the show you were at. (Yep, true story). Regardless, there is ALWAYS going to be someone prettier/better dressed than you and you just have to deal with it.
At the end of the day I love my job, love that I get to do what I am passionate about and LOVE that I can attend events like Fashion Week but I’ll be honest in saying I definitely know how it feels to have that FOMO feeling from time to time and it’s always nice when someone is there to pick you back up and let you know life isn’t all instagram’d perfection.
Shop the Look: