One question I get asked a LOT is where I find inspiration in fashion and blogging so today I wanted to touch on that a bit.
When it comes to fashion, I look everywhere — Blogs, Magazines, Instagram, Pinterest and more! Honestly fashion inspiration comes from all over and I let my imagination go with it. I’m never one to get caught up in the latest trends and such. Instead, I see things I like out and about and try to recreate them in my own way. My style is always very laid back SoCal but while also being very classy and feminine. I try to mix styles up while still feeling comfortable in what I’m wearing. Word to the wise: when you start feeling uncomfortable in what you’re wearing it’s time to find something else. The one thing I’ve learned throughout the years from doing this is when YOU don’t feel comfortable in what you’re wearing, you won’t LOOK comfortable. Always be true to yourself and do you but find inspiration all around you!
Another question I get while on the topic of inspiration is blogging. This can be one that stumps a lot of people and can definitely cause writer’s block. I mean, blogging is easier said than done. You constantly have to come up with new content and find a way to engage your readers to the point that they will continue to come back. Here are a few methods I’ve found that have really helped me throughout the years:
- Go through your blog and instagram comments! This is one of the simplest ways to find topics that your readers WANT to read about. In my opinion it is by far the best way to come up with new ideas for blog posts. Every time you get a question whether that be via email, blog or instagram– answering that question is a potential Blog Post. Plus, if one person left the question I can guarantee there are many others thinking it.
- Be real and talk about your struggles and mistakes. Heck, I’ve definitely done that MANY times here. Always remember, every mistake is a learning opportunity and not just for you but for your readers. Think about it — do you always like going to the same person’s blog only to read they are living the most fairytale life ever? NO! We all want to be relatable to the people we follow and sometimes being human and showing your own struggles and mistakes can resonate SO much with your readers. Every time you admit a mistake to someone you make yourself appear to be more authentic, personable and sincere.
- Go for a walk and get off the computer. Seriously this works wonders for me. When I am struggling to come up with ideas I’ve noticed that the more I think about it, the more I find myself completely stuck. I’m a firm believer in just obeying our bodies and when it tells us it is tired, I take a nap. When my legs and ass hurt from sitting at the computer, I take a walk. Think about it though — have you ever really had a complete GENIUS idea when you were sitting at your computer?? For the most part, it’s probably happened to you when you were in the shower, walking your dog or some other random activity. Changing your environment and doing something different is a great way to get those creative juices flowing. Trust me, it works…
- Attend events related to your industry or niche. I used to attend a lot more before I got really busy and it totally helped me get ideas in what I should talk about. Every event gives you ideas of what you can talk about and it really opens you up to another side of the industry you may not have known about before.
- Lastly, I would say go through magazines, other instagram accounts and some of your favorite blogs to see what you love about them so much. Is it the topics they cover, is it the photos, is it relatable, etc.. Think about if these types of topics could be of interest to your readers or in what way you could spin it to work in your favor.
Shop the Look: