Photography: Evan McGinnis
Every year when summer comes around, it seems that a nautical outfit always makes a comeback and never really goes out of style. The nautical trend really gives off that European sophistication and it always works with denim, making a casual outfit look elegant, pretty much instantly.
“the nautical trend gives off that European sophistication..”
And being completely honest – most of us don’t spend very much time lounging around on the deck of a yacht, but that doesn’t mean we can’t dress the part. Although there are many different ways to sport the nautical trend, one of my favorite ways is with stripes and by wearing red, white & blue, of course and with 4th of July right around the corner what better way than to dress it up?! A nautical outfit gives you that clean and crisp look that is chic and perfect for the summer!
My tips to the perfect nautical outfit?
1. Reach for stripes – Stripes are very popular for nautical themed outfits and they’re the only print pattern you need to recreate the look.
2. Stick to basic pieces – the nautical look calls for nothing fancy. A striped t-shirt and khaki or white shorts accessorized with nautical themed pieces is enough if you want to wear the theme with your everyday style.
3. Attention to details – The smallest details can sometimes make or break and outfit and if you want to pull off nautical themed outfits with perfection, attention to details is very important. The simple addition of gold or brass buttons (where possible) can really give your nautical themed outfit that ‘oomph’.
4. Accessorize – Accessorizing is actually quite easy when recreating nautical themed outfits. Simple jewelry, a wrist watch and your favorite purse should do the trick.
5. Red, Whites & Blues! – The most popular colors used when going for the nautical look are white, navy blue, black, and khaki. Red and gold are sometime used as accent colors, too.