As promised and in light of Super Bowl parties, here I am to teach you the icky truth of why you should never go to bed with makeup on.
I know what you’re thinking, it’s 3am, your head is pounding & you’re trying desperately to find your keys at the bottom of your (what seems to be) bottom-less purse. You are just getting home from the club, (hopefully alone), throwing off those ridiculously high and uncomfortable stilettos wondering why you ever bought them in the first place. You then find yourself stumbling to make it to your bed or couch, (whichever comes first) and collapse. The last thing on your mind is to take all that makeup off because boy does it sound like the hardest task you will ever have to accomplish. Well, I’m here to change your mind. Hopefully after this post you will have a change of heart & make a conscious effort to do so….and maybe grab some Advil at the same time 😉
P.S. Dating a hottie who you cannot fathom seeing you without makeup is not an excuse. Sorry ladies.
TOP REASONS NOT TO WEAR MAKEUP TO BED:
1. Clogs your pores.
2. Creates a breeding ground for bacteria. If you wear makeup to bed, your skin can’t get the oxygen it needs & will act as food for bacteria.
3. Leaving the smoke and sweat from the club overnight will cause further damage on your skin.
4. At night is when all of your skin rejuvenation happens. Because the skin repairs itself overnight, it will not have the vitamins & moisturizers to repair itself had you cleaned your face before bed.
5. Leaving mascara on your lashes will dry out your lashes & make them brittle. If you do this too many times they will end up thinning & falling out. (The horror!!)
6. Alcohol literally sucks all the moisture out of your skin. Need I say more?
7. The most important one of all. If you don’t wash your face at night, you aren’t doing anything to fight aging & wrinkles since you’re not exfoliating or adding moisturizers! Trust me, it adds up.
SO YOU DIDN’T LISTEN TO ME…
….and now I have to help you fix it:
1. Wake up and remove your eye makeup with an eye makeup remover. Do not rub eyes harshly. Next wash your face gently. Do not use anything with scrubs or beads. A gentle milk cleanser is best. Avoid those clarisonic brushes also.
2. Use a mask full of vitamins (my favorite: Vitamin C Mask from Martine’s Skin Care) and leave on your skin for 15-20 minutes. The longer the better.
3. Tone. Use a gentle toner like the Algotherm Toner I’ve previously mentioned. This will help re-balance the skin.
4. Moisturize very well. Your skin needs it!
5. Don’t forget to drink tons of water & eat healthy. No hangover foods!!