A friend of mine asked me if I would write up a post on how I achieve long HEALTHY hair. Seeing as how I never thought someone would ever ask me this in a million years, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity 😉 I capitalize “healthy” because I think the most frustrating part about trying to grow one’s hair out is when you get it to a certain point and just can’t seem to get it to grow past that! It’s that point when you start to develop split ends and uneven growth. It’s that “awkward” stage. The last thing you want to hear your hairdresser tell you is, “You have a lot of dead ends, do you want to cut a few inches off to get rid of this?” In your mind you’re thinking NO Lady!! It took me this long to get it here and now you want me to chop it off?! Well, I used to have that exact same mindset so now I’m here to teach you my secrets on how I’ve gotten mine to grow long and surprisingly healthy. I honestly never thought I’d be writing a post on this seeing as how I used to be the one always reading everyone else’s advice!
So here it goes, Victoria Secret Super Model hair here we come:
1. Get regular trims. I used to HATE going to get my hair trimmed because I felt like all that hard work of growing it out only to chop it all off! Once I gave in and just starting doing regular trims (as much as it hurt to see), my hair started growing incredibly fast! I guess my stubborn-ness was slowing down my growth process. Who woulda thunk it?!
2. Stop Coloring!! I think I’ve said this before, but I used to have a serious box-dye obsession. It was bad, I was coloring my hair WAY too often & completely damaging it. I was so sick and tired of the damage I was doing & the maintenance of it, that I just decided I was finally going to live with what my parents gave me: natural hair. I honestly can’t tell you the last time I’ve dyed my hair but then again I can’t even fathom why I ever did in the first place!! I’m convinced I used to dye my hair to get it the color it is now. We never ever listen to our parents. Ever.
3. No heat products. I used to use a blow dryer/straightener every single day on my hair. One, I can’t even imagine having the patience for this anymore and two, the heat is SO damaging to your hair. I now almost always let my hair air dry. If I do flat iron, I use one with ceramic plates because they are less damaging to my hair. Also, I try to only use heat products once a week on my hair (usually if I’m going out).
4. Don’t wash your hair everyday. Another thing I used to do was wash my hair everyday. Big mistake. When you wash your hair everyday, you’re getting rid of all the oils your hair produces, which is a big plus to your hair health. They say consider washing every other day, but hey I’ll let you in on a little secret, I actually go 2-3 days without washing my hair, sometimes even 4. I know what you’re thinking, gross. No! It’s not. I use dry shampoo & usually can get 1 day wearing it straight, the next day curling it (because curls hold better on dirty hair), and the third & fourth day styling it up. If my hair really starts to look greasy towards the end I slick it up and pull it into a high ballerina bun. Voila!
5. Leave In Conditioner. I swear by Leave-Ins. My absolute favorite is Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner. I spray this all over my hair after every shower. It is the best product I’ve ever found as far as a leave in conditioner goes! I am also a huge advocate of Moroccan Oil. I put a dime sized amount on my ends every once in a while.
6. Sulfate Free Shampoo/Conditioners. The key is that these products don’t strip your hair of crucial oils that most products do. With that being said, I do feel as though when I use these I can’t get as many days out of not washing my hair. Meaning, if I used to go 4 days without washing, I can only go 2 or 3 now. This could be due to the fact that the shampoos don’t completely strip all your natural oils. In my opinion it’s better this way.
And there you have it! My keys to having long healthy hair. Gosh it’s tough being a girl isn’t it?!